ML Research Engineer - Computer Vision
Bring the Future to Fruit Farming.
Vivid Machines is an innovative start-up that helps fruit farmers produce more food and less waste with our proprietary sensor and computer vision system. We are extremely passionate about supporting growers with the tools they need, as we continue pursuing our dream of taking farming to new heights.
Our teammates never have to feel like they are cogs in a machine because they have the freedom to experiment with their ideas and own everything that they do. On this team, leadership doesn’t micromanage and smother inspiration – in fact, they nurture and promote it.
We value excellence, determination, curiosity, innovation, and most importantly, passion. We pride ourselves on being open-minded and decisive, with a keen ability to iterate quickly and deliver. We exist to help make farming easier and contribute to solving global food security. We are here to bring the future to fruit farming.
What we do:
By leveraging advanced vision sensors and state-of-the-art machine learning, we provide fruit farmers with plant-specific insights, capturing previously unobserved and invisible features to improve yield and product quality.
Why our teammates love working here:
You use cutting-edge technology to find novel solutions.
You can’t build out the future of fruit farming without getting your hands on the latest and greatest computer vision and AI technology. At Vivid Machines, you are embarking on a journey that will evolve an entire industry, and our drive to make this vision a reality is unstoppable. Vivid Machines began transforming AgTech in rural Ontario and is now expanding its reach to farmers in the US, Chile, and New Zealand.
You collaborate with great minds in the pursuit of excellence.
The only thing greater than the innovative products at Vivid Machines is its people. You are an expert in your trade, alongside your team. Vivid Machines employees are born leaders fuelled by passion and the desire to help change the world for the better. While you will enjoy the occasional good escape room, farm retreat or Wordle challenge, it’s the clarity of your purpose that brings you closer to your colleagues.
You share daring ideas that will become state-of-the-art products.
Vivid Machines combines the speed of a scrappy startup with the level of knowledge you’d only find in a corporate C-Suite. Here, you are free to bring new and bold ideas to the table. You can experiment and iterate to perfection without having to worry about being bogged down by pending approvals, pointless meetings, or slow turnaround times. You are here because you are motivated, curious, and therefore trusted to help create a product that goes on to make agricultural history.
Perks and benefits
- You will be offered competitive compensation, including benefits and stock options
- 4 weeks of paid vacation, and we’ll encourage you to take it!
- Company-sponsored team events and retreats
- You can help build an amazing product in a company that plans to change the world
What you’ll do:
As an ML Research Engineer, you will be working alongside our engineering team to conduct innovative research in machine learning, deep learning, and computer vision to drive technological advancements, and the development and implementation of advanced machine learning and computer vision algorithms.
- A Master's or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field, with a focus on machine learning, computer vision, or a related area.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the field of computer vision and machine learning, with a proven track record of successful projects.
- Strong programming skills in Python, C++, or other relevant languages.
- Deep understanding of machine learning algorithms, deep learning techniques, and their application in computer vision.
- Proficiency in developing and implementing advanced computer vision algorithms using deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch.
- Demonstrated experience with image and video processing techniques, as well as experience with 3D computer vision.
- Experience with GPU programming and optimization techniques for efficient algorithm implementations.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills, with the ability to effectively present research findings and technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Publication record in top-tier conferences and journals in the fields of computer vision and machine learning.
Great to have:
- Experience with real-time computer vision and edge computing platforms.
- Experience with self-supervised and unsupervised methods.
- Familiarity with other machine learning domains such as natural language processing, reinforcement learning, or generative models.
- Proficiency in one or more computer vision libraries, such as OpenCV.
- Experience with sensor fusion and/or multi-modal data processing.
- Knowledge of cloud computing platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud, or Microsoft Azure.
- Past collaboration with top academic institutions or leading technology companies within the computer vision domain.
- History of successful patent filings or technology commercialization efforts related to machine learning and computer vision.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and experience working in a fast-paced startup environment.
Vivid Machines is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are given consideration regardless of race, religion, colour, gender, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other protected class as provided in applicable employment laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com. Vivid Machines also values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Diversity at Vivid Machines means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.