Who we are:
The goals of modern technology are not aligned with our goals as humans. We need technology to empower us to make life choices that benefit our human experience, not algorithmically addict us to our devices. The UpBeing Wellbeing application combines passive behavioural data streams like e-calendar, Spotify, wearables, and spending with short, research-grounded emotional check-ins to provide users unprecedented insight into the hidden relationships between their behaviours and feelings. As we grow our vision is to apply this same concept to communities and to society as a whole – measuring and imbuing emotion into the systems that make up our world.
UpBeing is also a way of thinking that is at the heart of our company. We believe every person is on their own personal journey towards flourishing. We want to move people up from their wellbeing baseline everyday and move their baseline up over time. We take this same approach as an employer, ensuring that the work we do together is meaningful and helps you grow as an individual. While we are a start-up today, our ambitions are huge. We are looking for team members that find meaning in and truly care about what we are building and want to grow personally and professionally. That, like us, want to build a more empathetic future that will infuse more emotions into an increasingly digital world.
As an UpBeing Developer, you will be an integral part of the team and execute on key features impactful to our users. As an early UpBeing employee, you will have autonomy to move quickly and implement your ideas with the guidance and mentorship of our Lead Developer and CTO. We also have a strong support network of investors, advisors and mentors we’ve surrounded ourselves with that you will be able to tap into and learn from. As a small company with big ambitions, you’ll have the opportunity to take on new challenges and develop your experience and confidence. You’ll be exposed to the entire product development process from ideation to release and support. You will be able to ask any question and be given opportunities to try new things. Failing fast and taking risks will be encouraged and learning, as a company and as an individual, will be prioritized. You will understand the broader goals of the company and how your personal objectives fit into them.
What You'll Do:
- Work closely with the Lead Developer and Lead Designer to understand and implement features within our B2C application.
- Develop frontend user interface components in collaboration with the Lead Developer.
- Brainstorm with the Lead Developer how to approach technical challenges.
- Build robust and well-tested solutions.
- Work closely with the Lead Designer, CTO, as well as other business stakeholders outside of the development function.
- Create functional prototypes for new concepts and ideas.
- Communicate and document technical and architectural decisions.
- Internalize UpBeing and what we stand for and consider our users in every decision you make.
- Ensure privacy and security is imbued into everything we build.
- Do and learn new, awesome things all the time.
What You Need to be Successful:
- Formal education in a professional field or clearly demonstrated relevant professional experience.
- 2-3 years of experience developing frontend components using Flutter (Dart) or similar mobile development programming languages and platforms.
- In-depth understanding of Flutter including Flutter widgets and the Flutter lifecycle.
- Experience with a state management system such as Riverpod or Bloc
- Knowledge of Flutter's stateful and stateless widgets, and animations.
- Experience with third-party libraries and APIs.
- Driven to ensure good and robust design principles.
- Experience with MVC architecture. Understanding of SOLID design principles.
- Experience with version control tools such as Git with platforms such as GitHub.
- Solid interpersonal and collaboration skills and a demonstrated ability to work within a team.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Comfort working in a remote-first, low overhead, low red tape, fast moving environment.
- Strong sense of humility, with a learning mindset and a drive to improve.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with test-driven development, and related tooling such as PHPUnit, Dusk, Cypress, Jest, etc.
- Experience building RESTful APIs.
- Experience with app store deployments (iOS App Store, Google Play Console, Testflight, etc)
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and automation tools such as Github Actions, Fastlane, etc.
- Having applications in production that are developed with Flutter is an asset.
- Data Science experience, preferably with Python.
- PHP coding skills and experience with Laravel.
- Some experience with GCP technologies.
- Expressed interest or previous experience in Wellness Tech, Health Tech, Mental Health Tech or a similar field.
- Experience working with third-party contractors and partners.
- Relevant accreditations and certificates.
This position is open to remote applicants and will not require going into the office regularly (although co-working spaces in Toronto and Halifax are sometimes available to work at if desired). UpBeing is setup remote-first with it’s HQ in Halifax, Nova Scotia. It is preferred that applicants are authorized to work in Canada on a full-time basis now and in the future as this position does not offer sponsorship.
The requirements for this job application are comprehensive (i.e. they take into account all requirements and we are aware that some great candidates will not have all of this). If you believe you are a fit for the position but don't meet all the requirements you are encouraged to still apply.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
UpBeing is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and belonging. We are happy to consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, neurodiversity, protected veteran status, Aboriginal and Native status or any other legally-protected factors. UpBeing has a zero-tolerance policy for discrimination and prides itself on assessing talent needs based on an objective methodology.
If accessibility accommodations are required during the recruitment process, we will gladly make the necessary arrangements to ensure UpBeing is able to support all interested applicants.