Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
Working for Open Cosmos
Aim high, go beyond! At Open Cosmos we are solving the world’s biggest challenges from space, providing businesses, governments and researchers access to more readily available information than ever before - ready for the challenge? Then read on…
Working in the Ground Segment Team
Our team is responsible for all ground-side software which gathers and disseminates data from existing & future satellite fleets to our customers. We follow a highly agile methodology, we look for suggestions & contributions from all team members, and we’re not afraid to try new ways of working when we see an opportunity for improvement. Our platform engineer will be the team’s SME for infrastructure, leading the way in deploying into new environments (both cloud and onsite), and supporting & advising the team on platform & infrastructure decisions for new services & functionalities.
What will you be doing?
Now Open Cosmos’ software offering is rapidly gaining commercial traction, you’ll be providing a solid platform/infrastructure basis for our rapid growth in our existing cloud hosted service as well as new environments required for particular projects or customers across multiple cloud and service orchestration technologies.
You’ll be key to unlocking our growth by setting standards, practices and procedures around the platform & infrastructure that runs our services and how those services are monitored. You’ll be free to experiment and design these, in collaboration with the development team, in the way you feel best supports the company’s mission, devops best practices, and the security, reliability & sustainability of our systems.
As our services grow and new services with novel requirements are developed in response to our customers’ needs, you’ll be exploring and proposing new approaches to deploying and managing those services. This could be in our existing cloud environment, across multiple cloud environments, or in “onsite” environments that vary per customer.
Additionally, you’ll be responsible for recommending, designing and/or developing tools for the development team that make following the approaches you specify as frictionless as possible, enabling our organisation to release more software, more reliably, more quickly.
What you need to be successful
We’re more interested in what you can do than being dogmatic about your background! We’d love to take a look at your CV even if you’re not sure you tick all the boxes.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need:
- To be capable of maintaining a highly resilient product deployed using our key technologies (Linux, Kubernetes, Docker, Skaffold, cloud & "on prem" compute/serverless resources & networking like those in AWS/GCP & Open Shift)
- To know how to develop a cloud or onsite environment for deploying a product from the ground up
- No fear when it comes to diving into new technologies and getting things up-and-running quickly
- User/customer centric mindset that drives all the business & technology decisions you take
- Ability to work & learn proactively, and communicate effectively with the rest of the team to overcome blocking issues together