Software Engineer (Remote)
Over the last ten years, SaaS has changed the way we work — for the better. Slack instead of email. Miro instead of sticky notes. Airtable instead of Excel. SaaS is helping tech companies move so much faster, but it’s also introducing a new surface area of risk they’ve never seen before. The risk of leaking sensitive data. As a result, companies are faced with answering the difficult question of how to manage compounding security risks as they grow without introducing more red tape that slows their team members down.
At Metomic, we help tech companies save time & reduce costs by minimising their sensitive data footprint in cloud applications like Slack, Google Drive and Zendesk.
Our technology includes native integrations with dozens of cloud apps, AI to detect thousands of sensitive data types, and advanced functionality to manipulate data at scale (redaction, retention, access controls, etc). All from one place. This liberates tech companies to make full use of their favourite SaaS apps as they grow, whilst Metomic takes care of all the security risks behind the scenes.
After launching our product in April 2021, we now count some of the world’s most innovative companies as customers, such as Zego, Clearcover, Omnipresent, Travelperk and Jumio. Our revenue is growing quickly and we’re backed by some great investors like Connect (investors in CityMapper, Typeform, Marvel), LocalGlobe (Improbable, Figma, Zego) and RFC (Hopin, Clubhouse, On Deck, etc).
As we continue to change the way companies deal with their sensitive data, our Engineering Team (currently 7 strong) is growing and we’re looking to welcome Software Engineers, either back-end or full-stack, to our team to be part of this journey.
Some of the areas you may be working on: Our sensitive data and classification engine, building systems to allow us to process billions of messages a day, data ingest pipelines, sensitive data remediation system, risk identification and ranking engines and alerting systems.
Our backend services are in Typescript (with GraphQL + Postgres) and front-end in React/TypeScript. We use AWS ECS Fargate via github actions and Terraform to deploy to production multiple times a day.
Who we're looking for
- Product-minded and pragmatic engineers - Front of mind for you is thinking through what the best solution is for the problem the customer is facing. You’ll be given a lot of autonomy to explore solutions from what we build, how it’s designed and what technologies we use.
- Problem-solvers - We’re facing a lot of previously uncharted territory and with that a set of new and unseen challenges. You’re not one to shy away from tackling these sorts of problems.
- One eye on now, one eye on what’s next - Our engineers have a passion for bringing to life distributed systems and scalable and robust architectures. You’ll have a huge role in coming up with how the system will evolve from an architecture and engineering standpoint.
- Culture contributors - We’re a small, close-knit team and recognise the importance of our culture as we continue to grow. You’ll be pivotal in helping shape the early stages and building a team platform that we can grow from.
Our recruitment process
We know your time is important and want to make sure our recruitment process provides both of us a really authentic and meaningful insight into what it would be like working together, so we’re planning on the following stages:
- Intro Call (30 mins) - This will focus on your motivations and interests, your journey to date and some of the experiences you’ve had, along with a chance to share more about Metomic and the Engineering Team.
- Technical Interview (2 hours) - Part 1 will involve the pair programming activity and Part 2 a whiteboard activity with 1-2 of our Engineers. We know people have different styles and preferences for how they show their best work, so if you'd prefer a take-home assessment rather than the pair programming activity, please let us know.
- Meet the team (1 hour) - We also think it’s important you have the chance to meet some of your potential future colleagues and hear directly from them what it’s like in the Engineering team at Metomic.
Given we are remote-friendly with a ‘base’ in Shoreditch, we generally run our recruitment virtually and aim to get through this process within 2-3 weeks depending on your availability.
- Our range is €60-75k base.
- Please note, we can offer this role in Portugal via either an Employer of Record arrangement or under a contractor model.
- We also recognise our success is your success, so you’ll receive stock options as part of our annual grant process.
Life as a Metonaut 👩🚀
- 🏡 Remote Working - Our team are mostly remote with a base in London for those who prefer this. As this role is based in Portugal, it will be a 100% remote role.
- 🏥. Private Health Insurance - Enrolled through our Portuguese employment partner
- 🏝 Holiday Leave - 25 days holiday leave, excluding bank holidays.
- 🎓 Learning Budget - £400 per year to invest in your growth
- 🖥. WFH Budget - £150 per year to contribute to your home office
- ✈️. Friendly & Social Team - We have regular team socials both in-person and online, including an annual team trip away (previous years have been in the South of France and Lisbon).
- 💜 Working Environment - We’re a small, friendly and close-knit team who value kindness, transparency and autonomy to have an impact