Senior NLP Data Scientist - AI Assistant
We strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.
Most people come to Cleo to do work that matters. Every day, we empower people to build a life beyond their next paycheck, building a beloved AI that enables you to forge your own path toward financial well-being.
Backed by some of the most well-known investors in tech, we’ve reached over 5 million users and plan to double that number each year... which is where you come in.
You’ll join the existing data science function here at Cleo; a thoughtful and collaborative team of 10 dedicated data scientists, ML engineers, and analysts with significant industry experience that is at the heart of everything we do at Cleo. You’ll build and deploy production models that developers will feed directly into the product.
This position is essential in the expansion of both product and business. We are highly data driven, whether that be understanding natural language, deriving insights from financial data, or determining which financial product is best suited to a user. We have interesting problems to solve on an ever-increasing scale
Check out this blog on how data science makes Cleo, Cleo https://web.meetcleo.com/blog/data-science-how-we-make-cleo-cleo
You’ll be working on a hugely impactful workstream, helping us understand our users' finances, so we can coach them through the power of chat. You’ll be working as part of a cross functional team to develop Cleo into a hyper-personalized financial coach.
What you’ll be doing
- Actively building and productionising classifiers - no dependencies on engineering teams
- Working to utilize large language models such as GPT, to continue developing our hyper-personalized AI assistant
- A wide range of ML tasks: classification, recommender systems, generative models
- Finding opportunities for model and product improvements in Cleo's extensive datasets of chat conversations, spending patterns, and app interactions
- At least 3 years of experience in data science or related roles
- Commercial experience of deep learning & NLP, including transformer models
- Ability to write production quality code in Python and SQL
- Experience deploying machine learning / deep learning algorithms into production
- A strong ability to communicate findings to non-technical stakeholders in a concise and engaging manner
Nice to have
- Experience with containers and container orchestration: Kubernetes, Docker, and/or Mesos
What do you get for all your hard work?
- Salary banding is open source. You'll also have equity options. You can view our progression framework and salary bandings here: https://cleo-ai.progressionapp.com/teams/data-hytlm2bwmux2. This role would be at level DS3 banding, salary depending on experience.
- Work at one of the fastest growing tech startups, backed by top VC firms, Balderton & EQT Ventures
- Cleo is a culture of stepping up. We want, and expect you to grow and develop. That means trying new things, leading others, challenging the status quo and owning your impact. You’ll have our support in everything you do. But more importantly, you’ll have our trust.
- We treat you as humans first, employees second. Because we can’t fight for the world’s financial health, if we’re not healthy ourselves. This means the usual perks but it also means flexibility.
- Other benefits include;
- Check out our new benefits package here: https://web.meetcleo.com/blog/big-benefits-energy-the-latest-cleo-employee-benefits
- 25 days annual leave a year + public holidays (+ an additional day for every year you spend at Cleo)
- 401k matching in the US and 6% employer-matched pension in the UK
- 2 months paid sabbatical after 4 years at Cleo!
- Regular socials and activities, online and in-person
- We'll pay for your OpenAI subscription
- Online mental health support via Spill
- And many more!
UK App access: The Cleo app is no longer downloadable in the UK (but only until next year). If you’re an existing user, you’ll still have access to the app. But some features won’t be available (just for a little while). Why? 99% of our users are based in the US – where financial health is often overlooked. We’ve decided to shift our focus to where we can provide the most value and make the greatest impact for users who need it most. Then we’ll be able to apply what we learn to better support our UK users in the future. Check out this page for more information.