Senior Frontend Engineer (m/f/d) - For Greentech Machine Learning Startup
alcemy was founded 3 years ago to tackle the massive CO2 footprint of the cement and concrete industry. Concrete is used everywhere, for building homes or for infrastructure like roads, bridges, and tunnels. However, concrete is responsible for almost 9% of worldwide carbon emissions.
We change this! Our intelligent production control software enables everyone in the concrete supply chain to make the most efficient use of their resources. Our goal is to be the world's first company that can produce green concrete made out of a 50% natural limestone-infused cement reliably and at scale.
As a frontend engineer at alcemy, you will
- lead the frontend development for our concrete product
- make architectural decisions and ensure high software development standards
- plan and develop our customer-facing UI (written in React)
- mentor junior developers
Besides having ownership of our frontend, this role poses a great opportunity to work with a data-heavy solution at the intersection with machine learning.
You’ll join a team where everyone - including you - is curious and striving to improve our processes, infrastructure, and customer experience. We are passionate about helping our customers and always approach them and each other in a supportive and appreciative way. We value sustainability and try to integrate and improve that in our office life as well. Our plans to reduce carbon emissions are big. To accomplish them we have to grow as an organization and as individuals, which is why we appreciate giving and receiving feedback.
THE TECH STACK
At alcemy, we use Amazon Web Services (AWS) which enables us to roll out our product at a fast pace. Our infrastructure is managed in terraform and our Docker-based services are deployed on Fargate and Kubernetes. The backend and machine learning tasks use Python, Flask, fastAPI and PostgreSQL databases, as well as Python's numeric and machine learning ecosystem (NumPy, pandas, scikit-learn, scikit-opt, pytorch, etc.). Our customer-facing web apps are being written in TypeScript and developed using Next.js, a React framework with sensible defaults. We use Redux Toolkit for state management and API integration. We combine the Blueprint.js UI toolkit with TailwindCSS to construct our frontend using functional React components. Furthermore, we emphasize continuous integration and development to ensure a working production environment.
WITHIN 1 MONTH YOU WILL
- Complete our onboarding and get guided through our development and CI/CD stack
- Clone your personal copy of our entire production tech stack in our AWS cloud, including frontend, backend, and the machine learning pipeline that you can poke and dismantle at your own liking
- You will inevitably learn a lot about cement production and the intricacies of concrete data
- Most likely deploy your first code to production
WITHIN 3 MONTHS YOU WILL
- Take ownership of the frontend of our web application
- Know your way around our entire tech stack
- Implement and ship your first major feature
WITHIN 6 MONTHS YOU WILL
- Put your concept into reality and build the major parts of our application in React
- Have responsibility for estimating time and technical scope of new major features as well as their implementation
- Track record of building, mentoring, and guiding Frontend teams (this is a must!)
- At least one year of experience with React
- You have worked with a data-heavy app e.g. dashboarding solutions before
- You have experience in software architecture and design
- You are fluent in English, with elementary German skills
Skills that are nice to have but not mandatory:
- Basic experience with Python
- Experience in UX design
A NOTE ON REMOTE WORK
alcemy operates on a hybrid working model. The majority of our team is based in Berlin, but not everybody. However, we all gather in Berlin every 9th week to work together in person. Remote candidates must be open to traveling to Berlin for these team weeks. We appreciate if you travel by train not by plane.
- Emphasis on personal development (target: 3 days/quarter, 1.5k/year)
- Choose your own preferred machine (Linux or Mac)
- 25 vacation days + 3 additional days between Christmas and New Years and an additional day of vacation every 2 years
- Free drinks and fruit (e.g., coffee, alcohol free beer, juice)
- Safety shoes, helmet & green 50/50 cement for the rest of your life if we bring it to market
Something looks off?